Friday, July 13, 2007

Impromptu Family Reunion...for a funeral.

If you read my sister's blog you've already heard that our grandfather (on our mother's side) passed away yesterday. He was 93 and lived a long, full, interesting life - some credits to his name are...

-being an orphan and deciding what he would like his own last name to be (as a 9 or 10 year old kid)
-playing minor league baseball for a Cubs farm team
-marrying my grandmother (Lucky man! They were both widowed; they met and married a few years after my parents did.)
-being featured in Sports Illustrated magazine as an outstanding senior bowler
-playing golf well into his 90's
-completing the newspaper crossword puzzle every single day
-and, well, living to 93!!!


So, folks, if there is thunder in your area today, just know my Grandpa has already hit the lanes in heaven...if there's hail, than know his golf game is rusty because it's been a while since he's had the chance to hit the links (normally he's very accurate).

In the morning I'll head out to Michigan for the visitation and funeral. I just found out this morning that all of my siblings, their spouses and my nieces will be able to attend as well. Poor Will has to work and will hold down the fort (base?) here in WA. As somber a time as it is, I envision a few days of celebrating a long life well-lived, spending time with family (time we thought we'd miss out on this summer), and spending time with our Grandma Margaret, who is an amazing woman of faith who we all cherish. Please keep her in your prayer as she goes through this transition.

4 comments:

Corrie said...

Amy,
We'll be praying for your family! Is that a schnauzer in the pic with your grandpa? I KNOW I would have liked him! :)

Kierstyn said...

What a man! What a life!

You're in my prayers.

Kierstyn

Brent said...

I'm sorry about your family's loss...

...and I hope my grandaughter writes something similar about me in her blog when my time comes.

Schweers' Mom said...

What a sweet tribute! He sounds like a really neat guy who left a memorable legacy. I agree with Brent, I hope I leave a positive legacy, too.

So sorry for your family's loss.

Lori