Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Got kids? If so, and they're in school, you're probably thinking about what to get their teachers for Christmas...and, you've come to the right place! Here's a list of appropriate, budget-friendly gifts that your child's teacher will love.

-A donation (of any amount) to any charity in their name. It's especially nice in this economy to know that we're all thinking about those in less fortunate situations than us...Need some suggestions? Pick up an extra bag of food on your next grocery trip, and drop it off at a local food bank, or donate a toy. Or, see here, here and here (you could get some of the other parents to go in with you on these to make them affordable). I'd even love a note saying, "I dropped $5 in the Salvation Army bell-ringer bucket for you!"

-Basic Supplies: I'm always in need of dry-erase markers (especially colors, which tend to cost a little more, but do come in small packs). Fun gel pens, stickers (smelly stickers are great for elementary teachers) and decorative scissors with neat edges would also make great gifts. I don't know a teacher who doesn't love even the most basic of office supplies, especially in cute colors/patterns! Oh, magnets are nice, too. Colored note cards, card stock, and colored copy paper are not available in a lot of schools - some schools even limit white copy paper...just ask around and you'll find what the teachers at your child's school most want!

-Christmas Cards! If you do a family card, include your teacher among the recipients. I love getting the cards (even the ones with extensive family updates), and I really love it when they are personalized with a note.

-A small, homemade treat. Sometimes the amounts are overwhelming - a few cookies or a small container of fudge will do!...It's also nice to include the recipe, especially if it's a tried-and-true favorite of yours (and you don't mind sharing).

-An ornament that expresses YOUR kid, not a generic teacher ornament. Put their name on it with the year, and it's a great memory as we decorate our trees each year.

-A donation of your TIME...Come on in and volunteer! I'm sure your child's teacher has something that you could help out with!

I'm sure I could think of a dozen more, but this is a good start. It is difficult to accept gifts when you know that a lot of the kiddos in your class come from families that are struggling financially...and it can be uncomfortable when some students bring very nice gifts. Having your child drop something off before or after school, or giving it discreetly (and not having to open it in front of other kids), makes life easier for teachers. Know that we appreciate every single gift, and our thank-you notes can't really express that fully.

I have been blessed this year with an incredible class - sure they make me nuts, but they are so, so special. As a whole they have taught me a lot, and they are truly a gift to have around. I'm hoping for happy, healthy Christmases for all of them...and for them to realize the Reason we have those two weeks off in December.

I love this season.

1 comment:

R A and L D said...

great ideas. i have saved most every note my students and their parents have personally sent me. they are treasures.