I made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies - definitely a taste of fall. I'll post the recipe later. They weren't a sweet cookie, more like a bread or muffin, and were best straight from the oven (before they got soggy). I even stuck them back in the oven about 3 days after I made them to crisp them up - delicious.
Dixie eats outside, Maddie eats inside. Maddie is not quite the hog that Dixie is, so sometimes she doesn't finish her food. Dixie has taken to stalking Maddie's unfinished food, and looking rather pathetic in the process. However, she doesn't eat it! She's a good girl.
Yesterday, my kids "buried" Dead Words. It was a blast! They gave creative eulogies, were very dramatic, and came up with some excellent replacement words to use in their writing. It was the first time I felt at home teaching here - one of the first days I scrapped our "Bed-in-a-Bag" curriculum (thanks, Leslie, for the term!) and did a lesson I was comfortable with, and one that I know the kids would both enjoy and learn from. I'm settling in.
More on the teaching thing - I'm constantly fighting battles here. I want to do what is best for my kids, but it's not what has always been done. Using our reading books, with packaged spelling lists, vocab words, workbooks, and a schedule with the whole week laid out is the norm. To me, this is crap. It doesn't follow our state standards, it doesn't integrate writing, it allows for NO creativity on my part or on the kids' part. The stories are boring. The worksheets are basic. So I'm scrapping it. I came with five file boxes of authentic, teacher-created and proven curriculum written by some of the best teachers I've ever known. So, DUH, I'm using it! Bring on the backlash.
Just outside of my neighborhood. Gorgeous night.
And finally, a fall sunset (view from my driveway). Could not be more beautiful. And Will missed it...which is the main reason why I took these pictures. He has missed every nice day we've had in the past month (all three...).
I woke up this morning to clouds and promises of rain by noon. However, yesterday's weather will do a lot to keep my spirits up until the next day we see the sun. Maybe less than a week this time? We'll see. Until then, I'm enjoying warmed-up Kona coffee (I couldn't resist making it yesterday morning). I'm blogging when I'm normally at work, because I just can't bring myself to get there as early as I normally do. I still have an hour until I have to be there. I'd rather spend that time with you. Here's to Hump Day - hope it's a happy one for you!
6 comments:
Your classroom activity sounds like so much fun! (Is "fun" a dead word??) I loved it! You sound like a very creative teacher who cares whether her students actually learn something.
Great pictures, too. What a picturesque place!
I'm so glad you blogged with us yesterday morning. I need one of your blogs, they are always wonderfully written! Love the "dead words" activity! Miss you bunches!
I laughed about Dixie! Gabby is the piglet at our house, and she stalks her sisters until they finish their food. We always tell her, "Gabby DO NOT COVET your sisters' food!" Maybe a little Biblical teaching would work on Dixie!
I love all of the pics of the scenery up there! How cool that you get to see mountains even when you just go to Wal-Mart!
Amy, The skill and drill does become too much part and not enough whole. When we teach we want to go whole - part - whole again. When teachers become too focused on the micro managed part they lose the whole integration of how we read and write. It begins to rub away at your soul, doesn't it? You will most likly be a threat with your file boxes of integrated innovative process based lessons, but when they see the passion in you and the passion in the students it will be contagious. It will spread slowly though as change is hard and does not come easy, but I enourage you to move forward and to teach from your heart as truly that is what teaching is all about. Maybe you canfind a away to show them how to teach the same objective from the skill drill but in a hands-on/minds - on way??? I am so jealous that you and Will have time to even think about a sunset.......we chase our tails here a lot keeping up with the duo! Get your soul back, Amy! You know your stuff!
I love the moment we all have had enough from our employers and we get that beautiful thought you expressed so well:
"Bring on the backlash."
Very nice.
gorgeous pics......I miss seeing the sights with you guys!!
mom d
Post a Comment