Monday, June 01, 2009

How does your garden grow?

Well, I've no silver bells or cockle shells, but I'm feeling quite contrary. My basil doesn't want to grow, I've already lost two cucumber plants, and my swiss chard looks quite peaked.

On the bright side, two veggies I have never grown before are doing well - my buttercup squash and artichokes are healthy and thriving. I was told that the artichoke will probably only flower this year, but not produce buds. I will have to mound them over with mulch and cover them for the winter, and they should produce next year. We'll see. Right now I am enjoying the surprise of it all, seeing what has grown day to day. I think Will is going to be surprised at the progress when he gets home from his 10-day trip! I'm sure he thinks I went a little too far with the planting this year, but I know he won't be complaining when he gets home and gets the first snow pea of the season (it's just about ready...).

I'm enjoying the beautiful evening, sitting on the porch, watching the birds. We are so blessed to have this house and even though we'd love to have land, we do get to enjoy room to plant, a yard for the pups, and the most beautiful yellow finches I have ever seen. They are getting used to the dogs and are becoming braver by the day. Here's a picture from last summer - this summer's yellow finches are much slimmer (or maybe one of them is this guy, and he's just been on a diet during the winter). It's just a great way to spend the evening...


After sunset I plan to head inside and work on the puzzle we have going on the dining room table, and then make a few bows before bed. Although I miss my husband terribly, it is nice to be able to fix a veggie burger for dinner and while away the evening doing crafts...trying to look at the up side of things. I am looking forward to having him home and firing up the grill so that it truly feels like summer!

2 comments:

Robyn Rochelle E.Cox said...

sounds idyllic... i'm proud of you.

Schweers' Mom said...

I love the new look of your blog. I'm a little behind on my reading...so forgive me if you changed it a while ago and I didn't notice.

Watching the birds in my backyard is one of my favorite activities. Simple and free. =-)