Thursday, July 03, 2008

Homegrown.


I tried to reign it in a little bit this year with my planting - last year a couple plants grew so well they took over the whole planter box. This year may be the same story, even though I tried to prevent it from happening. I planted my mints in pots so they wouldn't creep...I have been cutting back my cilantro and parsley...But, holy cow! The zucchini (back left corner)! This thing is HUGE - I was worried that the silver splotches (top right corner of picture below) on the leaves were some type of mold, but it turns out to be normal markings on healthy, mature leaves.


My remaining tomato plant is also growing well (right side of planter box) - much better than our tomato plants from last year. We lost two tomato plants (a Roma and a grape) to a late cold snap.

I did plant an eggplant, but it isn't growing much. It's totally dwarfed by the zucchini anyway. I also planted lemon cucumber again (last year it was very prolific and delicious) but it died back in the cold snap, too...It seems to be coming back, but is small.

Will loves sugar snap peas, so this plant was for him! The first pods have been ready this week, and they are oh-so-tasty.


And last, but certainly not least, are my peppers! Last year I planted them in the big planter box, but they did not produce much at all. I read that the soil temperature needs to stay above 70 degrees - so no wonder they didn't come through for us last year! This year they are in a pretty pot that is not too big, and it is right in the sunlight. Already they are starting to make their appearance!

4 comments:

R A and L D said...

So who will reap the harvest when you have to leave it? The veggies all sound sooooooooo good. I'm with Will, the sugar snaps are one of my favorites too. I've never tried to grow them. They would probably have to be planted very early spring here. You have a nack for gardening.

Brent said...

If you were in San Francisco or Amsterdam, that word above the 1st photo of a plant would have an entirely different meaning...

...of which I laughed at where my brain went instead of something as nice and wholesome as planting a garden!

:)

Schweers' Mom said...

I'm jealous of the fresh veggies! I'm also jealous you have such a green thumb. All I've ever had luck with in Texas are a few herbs (which I do enjoy).

Teach said...

I need some pointers. My cilantro burned up and my pepper tree died. I'm so impressed by your green thumb.