Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I have grossly overestimated my fitness level, which is, I think, normal for someone who used to (read: pre-wedding) exercise regularly...but now does not.

We joined a gym in February, but it just opened on Saturday. Something about construction delays due to all of the rain/wind/sleet/late snow. I have been every day since opening, praying that the "it takes 7 days to make something a habit" holds true. Luckily, this gym offers two of my favorite classes from Gold's Gym in College Station - Body Pump and Body Step. For me, group fitness is the only way to go. I have tried time and time again to have the personal will power to exercise and it just does not happen. Now, I'll walk the dogs and call it exercise, but I won't exercise the way I need to on my own. Once I get in a class, it's a different story - I won't wuss out and leave early, even when I want to (like today).

So today I decided I'd take it a step further, or greener, and ride my bike to the gym...and take the longer, scenic route to avoid busy streets. Um, yeah. Totally overestimated my level of overall fitness, as previously mentioned. I had a few minutes to rest before a 25 minute ab/back class, then Body Step. The WHOLE time I was dreading my ride home. Ugh. I did not take the scenic route home.

This was day 4. Pray for me, y'all.

6 comments:

The Borchgardt Bunch said...

Amy, I have laughed out loud. I am proud of you for heading back to the gym!!!! I have not stepped foot in one in WAY too long, but my hope is I can get motivated. I will take your advice for 7 days makes something a habit. Really, just 7 days?

Thank you for being such a positive light in my world. You and Charla always encourage me =)

R A and L D said...

You GO girl!!! Will you be able to use your membership while in Dallas/Stillwater???? I'm trying water aerobics- the class is mostly 15 -20 yrs older than I am, so I try to make my workout a little tougher- so far I'm a little sore, but I know I need to supplement with more cardio than what I'm getting now. Stick with your plan- I'm proud of you .

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Way to go! It's like you were writing my story, only I haven't worked out yet...okay so the story is very different. But, part of my morning prayers include motivation to get back in the gym...and I am in the EXACT same boat when it comes to physical shape...cardiovascularly I am so OUT OF SHAPE. But, I'm starting the Couch Potato to 5K program soon. I said it, so now I have to do it, right? Lots of people in Childress have done it, and they are doing really great and looking great. We'll see! Wish I could go to the gym with you!

Amy said...

I have thought about that Couch Potato to 5k program so many times! When you start, let me know. It's especially easy to keep track of on a treadmill, just less scenic. Maybe that will be my fall program for days in between classes - I think once I really get in the habit of going, I won't do the classes every day. But, for now, it's what gets me there. The instructors are AWESOME and they whole chain is a Christian company, and all of the gyms are focused on health and wellness, physically and spiritually, and not body image. It's really an amazing company, and go figure, it's only in WA! www.thrivecf.com

Teach said...

I feel your pain. I tried to run last week and I felt like some body part was going to fall out of my side. It hurt so bad!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

If we had Body Pump I would go in a heartbeat...we have some aerobics classes and they are pretty fun, but I can't go at the times they are offered and right now they aren't even going on because the owner of the gym and aerobics instructor is 8 mos. preggers!