Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The daily grind...Usually when I get to school there is only one other teacher there. It is so quiet and peaceful. I love the planning part of teaching and getting ready for the day. Researching lessons and finding new ideas is just so fulfilling to me. The part with the kids - not always so fulfilling. It's a job where you have to wait for the little glimmers of hope - and sometimes wait a long, long time - to keep you going.

A glimmer of hope made it's way into my classroom last week. Because of Halloween, I kept hinting to my kids that I like sour candy and Baby Ruth candy bars. You know, just throwing that out there. On Thursday, several kids dropped little pieces of candy on my desk, sharing their loot...all the sweet kids who turn in homework and smile and can walk in a line without being reminded how that particular task is done. But then, like a shining star, my not-so-sweet-tough-guy approaches my desk with a FULL-SIZED Baby Ruth bar in hand. "For me?" I asked. It sure was! Turns out my tough-guy was given a full-sized Snickers from a man (of course this kid went to the right neighborhood so that he would end up with the best stash) - and instead of taking the candy and heading off to the next house, he asked to trade it for a Baby Ruth if the man had any. Tough-guy proceeded to tell the man why he wanted to trade, and the sweet man let him keep the Snickers and gave him a candy bar for me. Two other boys in the class, both trick-or-treating with tough-guy, corroborated his story. So, on my desk sits a delectable treat, although I'm not sure I am ready to devour it just yet - it's a nice reminder that it's the little things, the ones no one else sees, that make this job warm my heart. A candy bar on my desk.

Sounds trite, but I'll bet teachers (and moms, too) will know just what I mean.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

That is so, so sweet. It's amazing how sometimes the toughest kids seemed to be tapped in the most to what we need.

Corrie said...

I'm so glad you had this moment and this experience! Teachers FOR SURE need these from time to time to just keep going! Enjoy every bite of that Baby Ruth. Let it remind you that you are imacting kids EVERY SINGLE day...even if it doesn't feel like it some days!

Schweers' Mom said...

That's the BEST story! I love it.

Lisa said...

You are an awesome teacher and such a great influence for anyone that knows you. Keep up the good work:)

Samantha Shepard said...

That's an awesome story and you are so right. It takes little things like that to remind us why we chose this profession. We did math problems yesterday and you and Charla were in the math problem. All the kids wanted to know who Mrs. Jenkins and (at that time) Ms. Macgregor were. So if your ears were burning I was sharing a little bit of you and Charla in class yesterday. Hang in there!