Had a bad day again...
Earlier this week the local paper came to our school. They took pictures of my class using the computer lab. The article the picture was printed with had nothing to do with us, but with a technology levy our district is putting on the ballot in the Spring. No big deal, right? Well, this afternoon I found a card in my box at school. It was addressed to me (well, to they way the paper incorrectly spelled my name). Inside was the ugliest comment, a personal attack, about the way I was dressed.
Our district is very casual, which I think I've mentioned before. I was wearing a pair of blue khaki pants (which did look like jeans in the picture), a jean jacket, and Birkenstock clogs (which are pretty typical here in this part of the country, not surprisingly). The note basically said that the way I was dressed undermined the fact that teachers have had to work hard to be recognized as professionals. Excuse me! What century to we live in? Not to mention it's elementary school, full of glue, glitter, sitting on the floor and playing with kids at P.E. and recess! Just to make sure I wasn't breaking any sort of rules with my dress, I checked the dress code for teachers - nothing revealing, nothing with inappropriate logos or writing...we can wear sleeveless tops, jeans, and flip flops for goodness' sake!
I recognize that my job is a public job. I would welcome anyone into my classroom to see the quality of instruction and the way we conduct ourselves. With all of the stress surrounding our job as educators, the last thing I think we should be concerned with is dressing casually (especially when it is allowed!). Of course, the note was anonymous, because they commenter knew there was no merit in their malicious remark. I wish people would realize that if they would just become more involved in their local schools (especially if they have the time to sit around and write nasty notes all day) they might actually know what is going on and have something a little more substantial to talk about.
Grr. No wonder this guy wrote this and this.
12 years ago
3 comments:
Are you freaking kidding me?! Obviously that person has never been anywhere in Washington to know that you were dressed up! When we were there I can't count the number of people on two hands who weren't, in fact, dressed in either pajamas or sweats in public. That's the name of the game in your neck of the woods. Besides, I think you looked just fine! You should see what I'm wearing today. It would shame that anonymous bully for thinking that you were unprofessional! They would have a field day with me. =)
If you find the person that wrote it, let me know. Chris and I will be on the first flight up there to do some "damage control."
Amen sista! That's just crazy. Who in the world has time to be writing notes like that? People need ot get a life, and leave the poor teacher of America alone. They have enough to deal with!
I can't believe someone would take the time to be that rude!!! I always loved the way you dressed at Jane Long, and what you described sounds just like that!!
Post a Comment