Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Sound in February...

The day started off beautifully, especially for February in Washington. With promises of sixty-degree weather, my neighbors (more like my adoptive family) decided to take their boat to the bay. It's only about a ten minute drive, and we were rewarded with sunshine and lots and lots of fun. It was so warm, compared to normal, that we all ended up cruising around in just long-sleeved t-shirts. There were scores of sailboats and great views of Mount Rainier.

We were able to enjoy the weather and boating for about two hours before the clouds started to roll in...you can see their ominous presence especially well in the picture of the capital building. Before long, we ended up in layers of sweatshirts and jackets, the kids huddled under a blanket. The temperature had dropped fast, and the wind was downright frosty. However, we didn't get raindrops until the boat was home, in the driveway, covered. Perfect timing!

The worst part of the day was that as we pulled up to the boat ramp, we were greeted by dozens of emergency personnel. They were waving at us, ushering us to the dock, and we had no idea why. Another boat had called for help because a man onboard was having a heart attack, but they didn't have a description of the boat and thought we might be the one. A few minutes later the boat pulled up and the rescue crew got to work. My heart was touched when my neighbor's 8-year-old daughter asked me what was going on and what we should do. I told her that all we could do was pray for the man that he would be okay, and for his wife who was obviously distressed. Her response: "I already have." Apparently it was the first thing that occurred to her to do, and she didn't even know what was going on - she just saw ambulances, a fire truck, and a whole lot of people in uniform running around, so she decided to pray. Thank you, God, for these neighbors who make this cloudy place a little bit brighter for me!

Hope you enjoy the pictures from our unexpected day on the bay!















5 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Those are great! All I ever get to see around north Texas is flat, flat, flat. I'm jealous of the scenery where you are! Sounds like a fun day. What neat neighbors, too.

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I'm so happy you have such a great adoptive family and they are so close! Looks like great fun! I can't wait for warmer weather here! I'm ready to work outside!

Brent said...

It's been so long since I've been consistently surrounded by such natural creation that the pictures actually kind of made me a little jealous. Especially the mountain in the distance.

R A and L D said...

These are excellent pics....Makes me want to hop the next flight to Washington. Like you, I am sooooooooo ready for spring. Today was an incredibly beautiful day, but unfortunately the majority of it was spent inside. I think we may need to have a lesson in "plen aire" painting!!!

Teach said...

I swear I've looked everywhere and there is just NOTHING like that in Texas! We can't wait to visit!