Sunday, September 07, 2008

-Did anyone else hear Obama this morning on "This Week" when he said he's for exploring the idea of performance pay for teachers?

-I was feeling lonely today after church (and really missing post-church lunches at the pho place with Will) so I decided to go to the Farmer's Market. It was a gorgeous day and people were in the mood to talk. I had some really interesting conversations about produce and learned quite a bit. I also was able to help a lady put a name to a vegetable that she had once had - jicama (she was trying to describe it to one of the vendors and they didn't know what she was talking about). She found me later while I was having a snack and watching the bluegrass band perform, and she invited me to visit her church. If you know anything about where I live, you know how incredibly rare that kind of thing is.

-There are a lot of people on strike around here. I wish there was some other way for everything to be resolved, but I don't have any more ideas than the next guy. An interesting twist to one of these strikes is that the teachers in the Bellvue school district are posting videos of their strike on You Tube, providing their insight, reasoning, and personal stories.

-I hosted a going away party for a coworker yesterday. We had good food and good conversation...I cleaned the house and got the yard looking pretty nice for the party, so it was great to wake up and be able to relax and enjoy the sunny Sunday. I washed the cars and now I have a few Netflixed movies to catch up on.

-I'm making pasta with leftover chicken sausages and grilled chicken from last night's party, and I'm throwing in some fresh basil and garlic from the Farmer's Market. I'm hoping to take full advantage of that place before it closes in December (and doesn't open again until April). I also need to whip up some zucchini bread to send to my sweet husband along with some other goodies.

-That's all I've got. Happy week...hope it's a good one.

4 comments:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I thought about you all week and wondered how your first week back went. I really wish I could just blink and be in Washington so I could:
A. Keep you company and hug on you!
B. Go WITH you to the Farmer's Market.
C. Help you eat the past you made because it sound out of this world and better than the taco salad I made tonight and then didn't even eat because it just didn't sound appetizing!

Miss you SO much!

R A and L D said...

Ditto being able to blink and be in Washington!! And ditto on the Farmer's market and the great sounding pasta. We had the church youth group out here tonight. We thought we had way overcooked in numbers of hamburgers and hot dogs. Woah were we ever wrong. A trio of high school boys just about did us in!!! They had a great time in the tank playing Marco Polo...... brought back some great memories.
Hope this second week goes well for you. Skype when you get a chance. We would love to "see" you.

Schweers' Mom said...

A bluegrass band? Wow that's pretty cool! (My hubby plays banjo so I'm pretty familiar with bluegrass.)

I missed Obama's comments on that topic. What did you think about them?

Unknown said...

Um... I did hear that comment and was disgusted yet again by how out of touch he is!! I have been re-living the glory of watching an election unfold in college when we had plenty of time to watch all of these shows and stay up all night to watch election results.