Bountiful Harvest
(Yes, more on my gardening...there's not a lot going on, and I'm feeling overwhelmingly domestic as fall approaches.)Well, I only ended up with two successful "crops" this year (because they overtook the rest)...however, the abundance of those, zucchini and cherry tomatoes, has been surprising to say the least.
So, what did I do with my abundance of zucchini? I shredded my two monster zucchinis (using what is possibly my all-time favorite kitchen gadget, my Cuisinart food processor - thanks Leslie!) and ended up with 30 cups! Yesterday, I decided to make some zucchini bread for the troops (well, my troop, even though he's not sure that he even likes zucchini bread). I opted for the healthy version, replacing half of the oil with applesauce and cutting the sugar way down while adding 1/4 cup molasses to give it a sweet, caramel flavor. Well, it's pretty...
...but not sweet at all. It was an unexpected taste, but good nonetheless. It would be really tasty with a drizzle of cream cheese icing, but that would totally defeat the point...sigh.
I have truly enjoyed the normal-sized fresh zucchini, especially sauteed with a little olive oil, garlic, and onion. Mmm.
Now, onto the tomatoes. This plant is unreal. I have so many cherry tomatoes that I am giving them away in droves. One day I had seemingly thousands of green clumps, almost like grapes, and now every day they are ripening and begging to be picked and enjoyed. I pick a bowlful each day, eat what I can/want, and bring the rest to coworkers. I'd love to share them with Will, who chose this plant, but I don't think they freeze - right? Maybe I could simmer them into a tomato sauce base and freeze that? Let me know if you have any ideas/advice. Anyway, aren't they gorgeous?
The dogs love them - they get all of the fruit that has already split open with ripeness. And they try to get the rest...
This little guy was interesting...
So, it's feeling a lot like fall with harvesting going on, with youth football kicking off (I love watching my bobbleheads in action - some of them are really good for sixth graders), and a distinct chill in the air each evening...That, and the fact that I picked these up at Target the other day:
They're good, but I think they'd be a lot better if they were coated in dark chocolate with the pumpkin spice as filling.
Happy fall, y'all.
3 comments:
Mmmm...I need to get some of those Hershey kisses. Chris says the pumpkin spice just sounds wrong. =) His loss.
Your blog looks great! Oh, and you'll be happy to know that it sort of feels like Fall here, too! It was beautiful today - low 80's as a high, and we actually were able to have the windows open most of the day. We do now, and it is very comfortable - cool, even.
That is the COOLEST looking tomato I've EVER seen! Whoa!
Way to go on being Betty Crocker!
The fall has hit south Texas as well. This evening when I got home Ray had opened all of the windows to let the house "breathe". It feels great. We spent about an hour sitting on the deck beside the tank, watching the sun go down and catching water bugs to see if they can fly or not. What an evening!!! Wish we had a few of your tomatoes. They are gorgeous!!!
Post a Comment