Wednesday, September 03, 2008


This is how I feel after the last two days...I'd like to cry but I am too tired. I have a very large group of students with various needs (which is not different in and of itself from any year). But, this group is so, I don't know, needy. They need more of me than I'm sure I can give. I was relieved at how this first day went, especially after Open House - it was a constant barrage of parents telling me about their kids issues/meds/IEPs/family situations/allergies/etc. It was wonderful to finally meet them today, instead of their problems. They are a very, very special group and amazing things are happening in their lives...life changing things...and most of them aren't even 12 yet. Adoptions, a degenerative disease, divorces, marriages, any and all manner of ADD, ADHD, behavior disorders...And they are funny, sarcastic, bright, sharp as tacks, and they seem to kinda like me. It just seems as though this group, more so than any of my other past classes, has come to me at a time where their character is truly being molded. And I think they're the kind of group that will let me play a bigger role than just spectator. It's overwhelming.

It's likely I'll come out of this year with nothing left, an empty tank, but I am certain I'll be pouring it all out for a very good reason...make that 29 good reasons. And we're off...

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Amy! I know you will do amazing things with this very special class and in May you will look back at this post and laugh as you will all grow together! You are an amazing teacher and we miss you dearly! Hoping you come back to Texas soon, Lisa

Kierstyn said...

Amy, you are an amazing teacher! I wish I could guarentee that my children would encounter teachers like you. I pray that you find the energy, grace, calm, and focus to teach these children.

Schweers' Mom said...

How blessed these kiddos are to have you! And how blessed the parents are, too, to have such a caring woman teaching their most prized possessions. You will do a fantastic job - I know you will. Praying for you!