Thursday, June 21, 2007

Freedom...

...for a few months - that is, until I start working FULL time in the fall! I got a sixth grade position (which is elementary here) at a local school, one I've subbed at many, many times. It will be an adjustment to go from middle school to elementary, but I like the kids, the campus and the principal, and in all honesty it was all that was out there. I just got home from signing the contract and learning all about the collective bargaining agreement and the rest of the union stuff - all new to me. It is bittersweet, knowing that I'll have to break into this school's community (and that I'll be the newbie), but even if I have half the support/encouragement/friendship I had my first three years of teaching, I'll consider myself abundantly blessed. Right now I'm just sending up praise that it's the SUMMER and I have a JOB for next year. Amen!

4 comments:

Brent said...

Congratulations on earning the job! I'm sure you'll be great.

Corrie said...

Way to go Amy! WHOOP!

Kendra said...

I second that AMEN/WHOOP! Enjoy your summer knowing that you are gainfully employed in the fall.

The Dean Family said...

Congrats! You are going to have an exciting year teaching all subjects... I look forward to hearing/learning about it!

Thanks for the clothing store ideas! We just got a Kohl's here in FL (somewhere) and I am remembering now that in VA I did have pretty good luck there! I'll have to check it out!

Funny you mention that "teachers up here don't dress all that professionally, at least in my district. I've seen v-necks, sleeveless (a lot), and what I consider to be SHORT skirts. The school where I'm working next year has teachers that wear jeans EVERYDAY."
It is the SAME here! WHAT GIVES? We are professionals, no?! I will be the wierdo in slacks and a nice top everyday while walking my 6th graders down the halls in two quiet lines! HAHA (the rest of the campus moves to lunch, for example, in a herd all over the hallway)

Enjoy the next month - it'll be over before we know it!! ;-)